[FFmpeg-user] mpeg-ts to mkv without sound delay

Armel Bourgon-Drouot bourgon.a at gmail.com
Sat May 21 13:27:24 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

I wood like to change the container of some videos I record with my TV, and
compress it for archiving purpose.
The container is mpeg-ts, the video codec is h264 and the audio one is mp2.
I wood like mkv, h264, aac. I also want the video stream to be more
compress.

Here is the result of ffpeg -i test.ts :

Input #0, mpegts, from 'test.ts':

  Duration: 01:55:45.60, start: 1.400000, bitrate: 5050 kb/s

  Program 1 Service01

    Metadata:

      name            : Service01

      provider_name   : FFmpeg

    Stream #0.0[0x100]: Video: h264, yuv420p, 1440x1080 [PAR 4:3 DAR 16:9],
25 fps, 25 tbr, 90k tbn, 50 tbc

    Stream #0.1[0x101](fre): Audio: mp2, 48000 Hz, 2 channels, s16, 64 kb/s

At least one output file must be specified

File size : 4.1 GB

So the first step is to change the container, I try :

ffmpeg -i test.ts -vcodec copy -acodec copy movie.mkv

 The process run normally except this message :

[NULL @ 0x645bb0]missing picture in access unit

The output file is fine but there is a delay between sound and video.
So my questions are :

   1. How to avoid this delay ?
   2. How to compress more the video stream ? Maybe try with a
   different bitrate ? Is there a way to automatically choose a suitable
   bitrate?
   3. To change the audio codec -acodec aac will be ok ?

Thank you for your time
--
Armel