[FFmpeg-user] how to maximize the volume without distorting the sound using ffmpeg?

Nicolas George nicolas.george at normalesup.org
Wed May 18 15:15:33 CEST 2011

L'octidi 28 floréal, an CCXIX, littlebat a écrit :
> Is there a way to maximize the volume without distorting the sound
> using Ffmpeg? just like the "-af volnorm" filter in Mencoder?

Your message is self-contradictory: -af volnorm does not do what you think,
it adjusts the gain to keep the volume mostly uniform, this is very much a
distortion.

Maximizing the volume without distortion requires a constant gain (because a
variable gain is a distortion) and finding the greatest gain that will avoid
clipping.

The latest operation can only be done by decoding the whole stream once
first, obviously. I think ffmpeg does not have a tool to compute the maximum
value of a sample; mplayer does, it's -af stats.

Regards,

--
  Nicolas George