[FFmpeg-user] xVid and version Q

Etienne Buira etienne.buira.lists at free.fr
Fri May 13 18:57:43 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 09:57:23AM -0400, Jim Shupert wrote:

> On 5/12/2011 5:50 PM, Jim Shupert wrote:
> >  Friends,
> >
> > I made a file with ffmpeg [ -vcodec libxvid ]
> >
> > ffmpeg -i D:\path\vid\my.mpg -ab 192000 -ar 48000 -b 8000000 -s 720x480
> > -vcodec libxvid  -acodec libmp3lame D:\path\vid\my.avi
> > ( and file looks fine - plays in VLC , wonderful )
> >
> > when I analyze a file with Gspot it repots the file video codec to be
> > xvid ISO MPEG-4. ISO
> > I think this is xvid 1.3.1 .
> > when i examine with media info or ffprobe it simply says Codec:xvid.
> >
> > What are the major differences between
> > xvid 1.1.2  and xvid ISO MPEG-4. ISO?
> >

> > If i wish to provide a person Xvid 1.1.2 can I get that older codec
> > version or would it be suggested to have the person update thier
> > player codecs.
> >
> > They are asking for Xvid 1.1.2  is this a reasonable request isn't it
> > just older - don't ya think they could just update their codec?
> >
> > Simply said is the file I made with ffmpeg [-vcodec libxvid ] simply a
> > newer version of xvid 1.1.2 or is something fundamentally different.
> >
> > Thanks much
> >

> is there any reason to think that the file made with -vcodec libxvid
> { that i think is Xvid 1.3.1 isn't that true ? }
> would not be backward compatible to xvid 1.1.2 ?
> meaning play ok in any player that can play xvid1.1.2
>
>   i did some googling -- and i current think
> -vcodec libxvid  = =  XviD 1.3.1 = = xvid ISO MPEG-4. ISO -------is that
> true?
> and
> those files should play in anything that plays xvid 1.1.2
>
> any wisdom would be appreciated -

Hi.

Actually, you have to distinguish two things:
1. The bitstream format, here you are talking about mpeg 4 part 2
2. The software that outputs a bitstream, taking raw input and
   compressing it the best it can (in parameters limits) to compress it
   using the bitstream format constructs. xvid stands here.

So, it should be as simple as "use divx/xvid/whatever" to encode, and
use whatever mpeg4part2 decoder to play. This is often true.