[FFmpeg-user] Metadata problem from mp3 to ogg

Lou lou at fakeoutdoorsman.com
Fri May 6 23:01:55 CEST 2011

On Fri, 6 May 2011 22:04:01 +0200 (CEST)
hallucinet at free.fr <hallucinet at free.fr> wrote:

> Hi everybody, this is my first message. I searched the archive about
> my problem, actually found answers, but they somehow seem to not
> apply to my very problem :
>
> I cannot pass the metadata from my mp3 files to ogg files. The mp3s
> appear to have both Id3V1 and Id3V2 metadata, correctly tagged. When
> I lauch the ffmpeg command, it reads and displays what seem to be the
> ID3V2 tags of the mp3 file. But I cannot retrieve them in the ogg
> file.

> #id3v2 -l Elephant_Rouge-01-Splash.ogg
> Elephant_Rouge-01-Splash.ogg: No ID3 tag
>
> (the file plays fine, BTW)
>
> I tried a lot of outfile:infile combinations, only 0:0 produced no
> errors, but still no tags in the resulting files... :(
>
> What is crutial to me are the Song name and track #
>
> Any idea of what I'm doing wrong ?

ID3 is MP3 specific, I think. You can use something like "vorbiscomment
-l input.ogg" to view the metadata in your ogg output (or simply "ffmpeg
-i input.ogg"). Also, you won't need to use -map_meta_data with a recent
FFmpeg because it will automatically attempt to copy the metadata from
input to output.