[FFmpeg-user] Copyright issues iFFmpeg

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun May 1 22:05:41 CEST 2011

Am 01.05.2011 21:57, schrieb Johannes Frotscher:
> I do not have a problem

of course, your problem is not understand what you speaking about

> I do not care much just as to inform you what illegal practices are going on

this is bullshit

> A mere GUI for a solid program it is, precisely the point, you cannot sell software which uses the main
> functionality of another software and effectively braking the license agreement and copyright originator.

where does it break anything?
it does not selling ffmpeg, it sells a gui

> You might have a problem here. There have been cases where companies have used FFmpeg in
> their products. These companies found out that once you start trying to make money from
> patented technologies, the owners of the patents will come after their licensing fees.
> Notably, MPEG LA is vigilant and diligent about collecting for MPEG-related technologies."

you should try to understand what you read

no line here says that any ffmpeg-copyright is the problem the problem ist that some inside
ffmpeg useses algoritms which where somebody like MPEG LA holds patents and as long ffmpeg
is downloaded as source there is no problem - if you include FFMPEG AS BINARY even
with totally untouched source you can have a problem with MPEG LA no ffmpeg-license

again: you are speaking bullshit as long we are speak about a GUI