[FFmpeg-user] What are my options for adding ffmpeg to a webserver for audio conversion?

Corne Beerse cbeerse at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 11:01:55 CEST 2011

On 28-3-2011 20:03, Nick Putman wrote:
> I have used ffmpeg as a command line tool on my Mac, and am now
> interested in adding it to a webserver so that files uploaded to a
> website can be automatically converted to mp3.

If it is for streaming purposes, see ffmpeg's sister ffserver.

If it is only for converting to mp3, I'd say to see how the mp3 tools
are called from ffmpeg and use that direct. As far as I know the 'lame'
libraries are in use there.

> I have limited experience of using PHP, but having done some searching
> around it would seem that it is possible to convert audio files that
> are uploaded using PHP and ffmpeg. The audio files would be uploaded
> using an upload script called 'Uploadify'.

There are also ready-made services, most in the upnp and/or dlna area
that can do your stuff on the fly, they use ffmpeg where necessary. By
head, twonky, tversity and such are names. Media-servers are the tools
to look for.

> I am currently using Hostpapa for hosting my website, and I understand
> that they don't include ffmpeg, and also don't allow ssh. I read on
> one website that I could still install a compiled version of ffmpeg on
> a shared server, but I am not sure if this means that it would work on
> Hostpapa, or whether I would need to change my host to get ffmpeg
> working.
this all indicates you move your service out of the current used box to
a box in your network. Hence, I'd say to use a media server.

CBee