[FFmpeg-user] FFmpeg produces m4a files that won't play on 2nd generaton iPod Shuffle Model A1204.

bat guano batguano999 at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 28 19:47:12 CEST 2011

> Did you try using qt-faststart on the files created ? Does it work ?
>
> --
Hi
Thanks for your reply Baptiste.

I've just applied qt-faststart to the file that won't play, as you suggested.
This was the result:-

@ubuntu:~$ qt-faststart test1.m4a outfile.m4a
ftyp          0 24
free         24 8
mdat         32 629935
moov     629967 27781
 patching stco atom...
 writing ftyp atom...
 writing moov atom...
 copying rest of file...

So qt-faststart has done some work... but the modified file still won't play in the Shuffle.
The modified file is here:- http://www.mediafire.com/?l9q7sai9v7rf8ki

Also, if I convert files using faac instead of libfaac the files will play OK without any modification.
Like this:-
faac -o output.m4a foo.wav

And like this:-
ffmpeg -i foo.flac -f wav - | faac -o output.m4a -

Both those two methods are OK.
It's just when I use libfaac that gives the problem result.