[FFmpeg-user] Encoding at highest quality

Miguel Guedes miguel.a.guedes at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 12:47:52 CET 2011

Hi,

I've been trying to transcode video from hidef sources (bluray and hddvd
mostly) to MPEG-2 format at the highest quality possible with complete
disregard to size. However I've found that so far all my efforts result in
video that is noticeably blocky, particularly in darker scenes, or just
doesn't look nearly as sharp/good as the source video. Even the size of the
transcoded video I find suspicious as it is always considerably lower than
the source video, i.e. source is 4.4-6.4 GB in size, transcoded video
shrinks to 1.8Gb-2.5GB, suggesting video was stored at a *very* high
compression ratio!

My question to you guys is what options to feed to ffmpeg to achieve the
highest quality possible video transcoding? So quality is what I'm
concerned; not size.

Here is how I'm invoking ffmpeg:

/usr/bin/ffmpeg -y -i "$FILE_INPUT" -f dvd -target pal-dvd -aspect 16:9 -
qscale 1 -mbd rd -trellis 2 -g 100 -flags mv0 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -threads
$THREADS "$FILE_OUTPUT"

--
Miguel