[FFmpeg-user] Conrtolling the rate at which ffmpeg converts a file from one format to another

Bryce Utting butting.mp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 03:39:07 CET 2011

RT mxa wrote:
> I am attempting to use ffmpeg as a standalone process which feeds output
> through memory to my application (I want to avoid creation of an
> intermediate file).
> Is there any way to invoke ffmpeg with a set of command line arguments which
> tell ffmpeg to convert till say it uses up 200MB and then wait till space
> gets freed up by my process which will read the output of ffmpeg.

Assuming Unix, it'd probably make more sense for your application to
send a SIGSTOP signal when it has sufficient data queued and then a
SIGCONT to resume.  I'm not sure about triggering on size (especially
where pipes are involved), but watching stderr should tell you what
frame ffmpeg is up to, which could be more useful.

cheers,
Bryce