[FFmpeg-user] encoding live

JULIAN GARDNER joolzg at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 29 15:32:11 CEST 2011

Before i start changing my encoders i was wondering if anybody had any thoughts on single encodes as opposed to dual encodes.

What i have is a list of 15 channels in which i need to provide 2 different streams, one 1Mb and one 500k, now at the moment i do each as a seperate ffmpeg instance.

So my question has anybody done the same but joined the 2 encodes into a single instance, thereby saving the extra time in the UDP receive, Video Decode, Video Resize, will this same much time.

Currently we do stream 1 as 512x288 with x264 at 1Mb, and stream 2 as 352x288 with x264 at 500K, all are from a MPEG2 source @720x576 @704x576 sometimes.

joolz
ps. ive had my dvbsubtitles modifications running over a week now, HARD SUBTITLES work.