[FFmpeg-user] how to send arbitrary data on top of video stream.

Peter Hassing peter at gpscam.nl
Thu Jun 16 08:50:07 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I'm streaming video over rtp to a wowza server, which re-streams over (mostly) rtmp.
I would like to send extra data over the same connection, like status of the cam, gps-position, state of switches, and so on.
This data is needed on the client side (flowplayer) but should not always be visible to the viewers. ( so overlay is not the solution)

Is it possible to add (one or more) subtitle tracks that read from a fifo instead of from a srt file ? And would this be doable without knowing the quepoints for display timing ? This is a live stream, so easiest would be if the data was just added as soon as it is in the fifo.

Or is there maybe a better / easier / more common way ?

Thanks for your insights.

Peter.