[FFmpeg-user] Always get very large files when I convert

Lee Gold leegold at operamail.com
Sun Jun 5 04:26:53 CEST 2011

When I convert an mpeg-4 (or most any file type) to an flv I notice the
flv files are much larger. For example the mpeg-4 might be 40mb and the
resulting flv is 210mb. This is really a big difference! I do want the
flv files to be every bit as good in quality as any source file I
convert from. I use:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -sameq -ar 44100 output.flv

This has worked well for every file type I have tried. But would
appreciate if someone could explain the reason for the  large file sizes
that result.

Thanks.