[FFmpeg-user] -crf ignored

Phil Rhodes phil_rhodes at rocketmail.com
Thu Jun 2 00:50:50 CEST 2011

I have historically found it very difficult to make ffmpeg obey bitrate
commands - it seems to encode at the rate it thinks it wants to encode and
woe betide you if you want anything else.

Presets can be tricky becuase many windows builds don't include them, if
you can get them they're very difficult to edit because they have Unix
linefeeds, and in any case I don't think I've ever once got a windows
build of ffmpeg to read a preset - no matter how hard you try, it always
seems to complain it can't find them, even when they're colocated with the
executable or in the current directory or whatever. This is presumably an
issue of directory resolution which has failed to port cleanly but if
you're not on a Unix-like OS then that may be a problem for you.