[FFmpeg-user] getting 'av_interleaved_write_frame(): Operation not permitted with mp4 files

Ben Mesander benmesander at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 21 20:26:12 CEST 2011

Hi Patricia,

> This would save ffmpeg users (especially inexperienced ones, like myself)  tons
>of time (which would otherwise
> be wasted trying to figure out what on earth the error messages actually mean).
>If this feature hasn't been
> requested yet, and there is a way to request it you can point me to, please let
>me know. Thanks,

ffmpeg gets an error code back from the operating system that it is running on,
and that is what is being displayed.

It doesn't know if it's writing to a local filesystem, a network filesystem, a
pipe, a fifo, or even what OS might be implementing the POSIX API that it is
using.

In this regard, ffmpeg is no different than any other application for developed
against the POSIX API.

Unfortunately this is confusing at times, if you are running on linux, you may
want to look at /var/log/messages or similar when you get unexpected behavior
from an application.

Regards,
Ben