[FFmpeg-user] VP7 support

Kirill Gavrilov gavr.mail at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 06:32:04 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:04 AM, Diego Carvalho <
diego.cdomingos2010 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Does ffmpeg support or intend to support decoding the VP7 codec?

ffmpeg -codecs:

>   D VSD  vp3             On2 VP3
>  D V D  vp5             On2 VP5
>  D V D  vp6             On2 VP6
>  D V D  vp6a            On2 VP6 (Flash version, with alpha channel)
>  D V D  vp6f            On2 VP6 (Flash version)
>  D V D  vp8             On2 VP8

so there are no vp7 in the list.

I saw it supports VP8 through libvpx

FFmpeg supports *encoding *using libvpx. Decoding code is included to FFmpeg
sources and doesn't require libvpx library.
Notice also that while vpX family has common algorithmic parts these codecs
still *different*.
And libvpx was opened only for vp8 version (and probably later versions).

So in general, I think this is not yet possible to decode vp7 stream using
FFmpeg (the simplest way - just to try this!).

Notice also that vp6 decoding was originally supported by FFmpeg more early
than libvpx was published
and is limited to progressive video (video encoded with interlaced flag will
not be decoded using FFmpeg).