[FFmpeg-user] mp4 settings

Lou lou at lrcd.com
Sat Jul 16 04:38:10 CEST 2011

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 19:46:08 -0400
"HallMarc Websites" <marc at hallmarcwebsites.com> wrote:

> > > ffmpeg -i INPUT_FILE -f mp4 -vcodec libx264 -r 25 -b 864k -acodec
> > > libfaac -s
> > > 480x320 -aspect 3:2 -qscale 1 -ac 2 -ar 44100 -ab 96k -async 1
> > > OUTPUT_FILE.mp4
> >
> > I would give you several recommendadtions for this command, but I'm
> > not totally sure what you're trying to do. I assume you want to
> > take a variety
> of
> > inputs and resize them all to be 480 pixels wide while keeping the
> > aspect ratio, and then playing these outputs on your web site with
> > a Flash player such as JW Player or Flowplayer.

Is my assumption correct? You didn't answer.

> > What distro/OS/system are you using? Can you show the output of
> > "ffmpeg"?
> CentOS LAMP
> I could put something together...
> I guess I was kind of expecting someone to be able to look what I had
> written for ffmpeg and compare it to what I was using as settings for
> another program..

The other program doesn't matter. You need describe in detail what you
are trying to do, and then I, or someone else on the list, can give you
an example or recommendation based on your needs or requirements.

To answer the question, yes, it appears that you are basically copying
the settings that the other program is claiming to be using in
addition to several options you added (never use qscale with libx264
by the way). However, this is irrelevant because the other program could
be doing something completely different, and blindly copying "settings"
from one program to another probably won't give you the results you
want as it appears you've encountered.

> > > When I use SUPER the file it outputs is playable on everything I
> > > have thrown at it and I'm not getting the same result with my
> > > ffmpeg settings. What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > What is "everything"? Can you be more specific than "not getting
> > the same result"?
> Desktop - Windows - Chrome, IE (Back to 7), Safari, Opera, Firefox
> Mac OSX - Safari, Chrome, Firefox
> Mobile devices - Andriod 2.1u1, 2.2.2, assuming 3x , webkit browser,
> Iphone 3 and 4, iPad 1 and 2

You listed a number of browsers and devices, but you didn't describe
how you're providing the video to these browsers and devices. You also
did not elaborate what you meant by "same result".