[FFmpeg-user] how to (programmatically) determine video frames to take image snapshots

Stefano Sabatini stefano.sabatini-lala at poste.it
Sat Jul 2 11:06:49 CEST 2011

On date Friday 2011-07-01 11:32:42 -0700, pgoldweic encoded:
> Thanks for your response Jeff (unfortunately I was looking for a simpler way
> :-(). As I was searching further for tips, I came across an apparently new
> capability in ffmpeg to extract keyframes
> (http://avcodec.org/trac/ffmpeg/ticket/92). Do you know if this could also
> be used to accomplish my goal?

I originally wrote the select filter for a similar purpose:
http://ffmpeg.org/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2009-May/076085.html

The "snapshot" sink was never integrated though. Also you may have a
look at some scenechange detection algorithms, you should be able to
find several implementations, porting them to FFmpeg/libavfilter would
be great.