[FFmpeg-user] how to (programmatically) determine video frames to take image snapshots

Jeff Stagg jeff at jungletech.com
Fri Jul 1 20:13:34 CEST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: ffmpeg-user-bounces at ffmpeg.org [mailto:ffmpeg-user-bounces at ffmpeg.org] On Behalf Of pgoldweic
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 1:07 PM
To: ffmpeg-user at mplayerhq.hu
Subject: [FFmpeg-user] how to (programmatically) determine video frames to take image snapshots

As a newbie here, I apologize if this happens to be a question with a trivial
answer. I am wondering whether there is any way that I can have ffmpeg
automatically determine which video frames represent frames with enough
content variation that they are 'worth' taking a snapshot of. The goal here
is to generate *only informative* images from a video sequence. Any
information/help will be appreciated.