[FFmpeg-user] ffmpeg issue

Jose Luis Rivas joseluis at eserre.com
Mon Dec 12 16:22:35 CET 2011

On 12/11/2011 11:42 PM, Phil Rhodes wrote:
> Several reactions:
>
> 1) You think that "sudo apt-get remove ffmpeg x264 libx264-dev sudo
> apt-get update sudo apt-get install build-essential checkinstall git
> libfaac-dev libjack-jackd2-dev \  libmp3lame-dev libopencore-amrnb-dev
> libopencore-amrwb-dev libsdl1.2-dev libtheora-dev \  libva-dev
> libvdpau-dev libvorbis-dev libx11-dev libxfixes-dev texi2html yasm
> zlib1g-dev cd git clone git://git.videolan.org/x264 cd x264 ./configure
> --enable-static make sudo checkinstall --pkgname=x264
> --pkgversion="3:$(./version.sh | \ awk -F'[" ]' '/POINT/{print
> $4"+git"$5}')" --backup=no --deldoc=yes \ --fstrans=no --default sudo
> apt-get remove libvpx-dev cd git clone
> ftp://git.chromium.org/webm/libvpx.git cd libvpx ./configure make sudo
> checkinstall --pkgname=libvpx --pkgversion="1:$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)-git"
> --backup=no \ --deldoc=yes --fstrans=no --default cd git clone --depth 1
> git://source.ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg cd ffmpeg ./configure --enable-gpl
> --enable-libfaac --enable-libmp3lame --enable-libopencore-amrnb \
> --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libtheora --enable-libvorbis
> --enable-libx264 \    --enable-nonfree --enable-postproc
> --enable-version3 --enable-x11grab make sudo checkinstall
> --pkgname=ffmpeg --pkgversion="5:$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)-git" --backup=no
> \   --deldoc=yes --fstrans=no --default hash x264 ffmpeg ffplay ffprobe
> cd ~/ffmpeg
> make tools/qt-faststart sudo checkinstall --pkgname=qt-faststart
> --pkgversion="$(date +%Y%m%d%H%M)-git" --backup=no \     --deldoc=yes
> --fstrans=no --default install -Dm755 tools/qt-faststart \
> /usr/local/bin/qt-faststart cd ~/x264 make distclean ./configure
> --enable-static make sudo checkinstall --pkgname=x264
> --pkgversion="3:$(./version.sh | \ awk -F'[" ]' '/POINT/{print
> $4"+git"$5}')" --backup=no --deldoc=yes \    --fstrans=no --default" is
> simple??!?
>
> 2) I don't think you'd ever get through such a vast amount of very
> complex shell commands without errors, so in essence, I don't believe
> you for a picosecond, and
>
> 3) If your assertion is that it WOULD work, why on earth is the
> described procedure not a one-click, automated task?
>
> I suspect it isn't automatic because you can't really assume a sequence
> of shell commands that complex will work repeatably, and there will be
> changes required. This sort of puts us back at the point of "you have to
> be a coder," doesn't it?
>
> I'd throw Ubuntu on a spare box and prove it, but that would open up the
> worm-filled can of grub configuration, and I really don't have the
> requisite nine months to spend on this.

You have 3 options, really;

1) Install ffmpeg from Debian repositories. If you use synaptic (which
must people use if they want to click and install) you just click on
ffmpeg and installs it. But that's a fork, not FFmpeg but LibAV.

2) You could install ffmpeg from Debian-Multimedia.org repositories,
with synaptic you add, which anyone using something like Debian will now
how to do it, specially on synaptic, and just select ffmpeg, with a
click, again.
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org sid main non-free

Both, Debian's and Debian-Multimedia's come with libmp3lame by default.
So both support mp3, and all the bells and whistles you would like with
them.

3) Use the source I created and have been using since a few weeks ago.
Being a Debian Developer myself (you can reach me as ghostbar on
debian's mail or IRC), and knowing that Debian-Multimedia's ffmpeg will
not work the way I want it (I needed the git-tree, not the release), I
created a debianization with support for everything I may want, which is
everything that FFmpeg could support. It's available at
http://github.com/ghostbar/FFmpeg.deb.

Instructions are on the README file, and are this:
git clone git://github.com/ghostbar/FFmpeg.deb.git
git checkout -t -b pristine-tar origin/pristine-tar
git checkout -t -b upstream origin/upstream
git fetch --tags
git checkout master
git-buildpackage

Just one line, the last one, is the one you need to build the package.
Now, if they're just too much for you, then you don't need to build the
package, but use option 1 and 2. If you insist that is just too
difficult to build it, then I dare you to build it on Windows with
One-Click procedure.

Is the same for CSS support on DVDs, with debian-multimedia.org
repositories, just search DVD CSS on synaptic and with One-Click
procedure you will have support for CSS-encrypted DVDs. Pretty easy,
isn't it?

Of course, if grub is too difficult for you, which my wife -- who is
expert in Inkscape and vector illustrations but not in any other
computer stuff -- installed with One-Click in the -- oh-so difficult and
scary -- Debian, then I hope your work has nothing to do with computers,
really.
--
Jose Luis Rivas, Web Builder
Venezuela - GPGs: 7C4DF50D B9AC8C43