[FFmpeg-user] compress security video

Peter B. pb at das-werkstatt.com
Sat Dec 10 23:59:11 CET 2011

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> Did you try ffv1 (possibly with -coder 1)?

Although I'm a big fan of FFv1, are you sure that he's interested in
losslessly encoding it?
(In our long-term tests, we've seen that a 1 minute FFv1-AVI (with PCM
16bit stereo audio) has about 350MB)

Wouldn't a lossy codec, such as XviD or h264 be a better one for the
task of compressing security videos with 95% of the image staying the
same - especially, since FFv1 would conserve the video-noise, which adds
a lot of unnecessary data, if lossless is not required.

I think it would be a good idea to avoid a WMV codec, though ;)

Just my 2 cents...

Regards,
Pb