[FFmpeg-user] Problem streaming mjpeg as UDP

Carl Eugen Hoyos cehoyos at ag.or.at
Thu Dec 8 17:27:39 CET 2011

bartom <bartomas <at> gmail.com> writes:

> ffmpeg -i  /PathToVideo/sample.avi -vcodec mjpeg -f mjpeg
> udp://127.0.0.1:1234
>
> is the  option -vcodec mjpeg unnecessary?, because it works without it.
> (sorry, I'm newbie)

The default encoder for format mjpeg is mjpeg (note that the mjpeg muxer that
you request with -f is not the same as the mjpeg encoder, the encoder certainly
works without the muxer), so it is not necessary to explicitly request it, it
gets automatically selected.
Generally, the default encoders for formats may change (and they did change in
the past), but I believe it is unlikely that the default encoder for format
mjpeg will change;-)