[FFmpeg-user] syncing x11grab with a drawing application

Csillag Kristof csillag.kristof at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 15:46:52 CEST 2011

Dear ffmpeg-users,

I would like to use ffmpeg's x11grab input with a (legacy) X application
in such a way that the captured frames are synchronized to the
application's output.

To be more precise, I would like to somehow notify ffmpeg every time
when the application has finished drawing a frame, so that ffmpeg can
capture it.
When it has captured it, then the application would move on to draw the
next frame.

No audio is involved, so the only concern of synchronization is the
application drawing the frames.

Is something like this supported?

(Obviously, I would need to add the special notification code to the
application, but that's ok.)

Thank you for your help:

     Kristof Csillag