[FFmpeg-user] Static compile with embeded 3rd party libraries.

Tim Nicholson tim.nicholson at bbc.co.uk
Fri Aug 26 12:47:58 CEST 2011

On 26/08/11 11:01, Thomas Worth wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 2:25 AM, James Darnley<james.darnley at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> According to yast, yes!
>>>
>>> libfaac-devel - Header files and static library for the faac library
>>>
>>> /usr/include/faac.h
>>> /usr/include/faaccfg.h
>>> /usr/lib64/libfaac.so
>>
>> You might want to check that.  I thought static libs were usually *.a
>> and shared ones *.so.
>
> "so" means "shared object" as far as I know. That's a shared lib.
> Static is .a, as James pointed out.

Ahh. I'm more of a dynamic language man myself, C(++) not really my
thing, so I'm still get used to the intricacies of compiler/linking etc.

So I will need to build all the third party includes statically first
then, as the distro only includes the shared.so and C headers....

> FYI, on Mac OS X shared libs have a .dylib extension.

Useful info...

Thanks for all this.

--
Tim