[FFmpeg-user] converting Quicktime files with multiple audio tracks.

James Lu luj125 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 19:46:21 CEST 2011

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 1:39 PM, Glau Stuff
<glau.stuff at ridiculousprods.com>wrote:

> Hi, occasionally I get a file that has multiple audio sound tracks in it.
> (not to be confused with channels).
>
> It might be a quicktime file with two separate stereo tracks. (Track 1
> L/R; Track 2 L/R) or a file with two mono aac tracks.
>
> Some Skype phone recorders in particular seem to generate files that are
> one distinct mono track for each end of the conversation instead of one
> stereo track split L/R
>
> Let's assume I have the following:
>
> Quicktime MOV file with
>
> * Track 1 - Mono
> * Track 2 - Mono.
>

> How do I export this to mp3 such that both tracks are represented on the
> MP3 file. Either Track 1 to Left Chanel, Track 2 to Right channel; or
> Track 1 & 2 merged into a mono MP3 file
>
> I suspect it has to do with the -map feature, but a concrete example would
> help a lot.
>
> Thanks.

Hey Glau,

I don't believe ffmpeg has the capability to map to channels. AFAIK, -map
only maps different streams. I expect that when libavfilter gets audio
filters that this will be among its most basic features.

Open programs I suggest to do what you are looking for:
Sox: http://sox.sourceforge.net/
Similar to ffmpeg in command line complexity
Audacity: http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
GUI audio manipulation tool

Hope this helps,
~James