[FFmpeg-user] mp4 settings

HallMarc Websites marc at hallmarcwebsites.com
Tue Aug 9 22:31:52 CEST 2011

Wow, what a learning experience this has been. First I need to throw out a
round of apologies to the list for my attitude. I thought I had a working
instance of ffmpeg, libx264 and qt-faststart on my server and it turns out
that what I had was a mess instead. Rebuilt everything fresh and I know have
a working version of all three with a nice collection of vpre libs for
libx264. Looking into faststart.py next just to make it safe for the avg
user.
[>]
What I had put up, minus the qscale - thanks for noticing that, actually
should've worked yet did not. I never once tried to send the command through
anything else but a php script which didn't provide any error reporting and
I should've run it through a CLI. I know better and just got lazy and a
little too comfortable with my PHP skills for my own good.

Having said all of this I know have two questions:
1) how can I pipe the qt-faststart command into my php exec() or CLI
statement so that ffmpeg finishes the transcoding before qt tries to do the
atom move?
2) if you look (black screen) at this video,
http://hallmarcwebsites.com/wrdp/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/final-stren.mp4
on a AT&T Motorola Backflip (with Android 2.1u1) you get audio and no video.
Here are the ffmpeg settings I used to do the transcoding (let me know what
I have left out)

ffmpeg -i INPUT_FILE.mov -r 25 -b 864k -acodec libfaac -ab 96k -ar 44100 -ac
2 -vcodec libx264 -vpre lossless_max -async 1 OUTPUT_FILE.mp4