[FFmpeg-user] Can I use FFmpeg.exe command line in my proprietary software

H. Vidal, Jr. hvidal at tesseract-tech.com
Mon Aug 8 16:54:23 CEST 2011

On 08/08/2011 10:42 AM, Phil Rhodes wrote:
...>
> Sure, I could go ask on gnu-violations.org, but who are they other than
> yet another third party with no legal relationship to the informal group
> of software engineers who appear, notionally, to be in charge.
>
> You see why this is a problem.

Perhaps it's useful to consider 'how' this is important....
(from me, this is partially because I am really trying to
understand the point you are proposing....)

So, allow us to understand in context....

The notion is, this is relevant in terms of a situation where
there is a commercial interest in the technology? Then,
because commercial interest must have a point of contact
(the ffmpeg-interested party) there should be a
corresponding point of contact in the ffmpeg community?

Or am I wildly off-base ?

I guess this kind of doesn't matter if it's a hobbyist....

it does not seem to matter if a party uses the ffmpeg
tool in a shop for a bunch of stuff, free or commercial,
but does not distribute binary or other code, just uses
tool for a service....

Does not seem relevant to a student or research
institute where investigation is being done/tool
is being used, but there is no profit...
(soft point here?)

There may be other cases, but it seems that the only
real point here is in a commercial context.

Thoughts?

hv