[FFmpeg-user] Scene detection

lovelove googol at wolke7.net
Sun Aug 7 16:16:24 CEST 2011

Hi, can someone please help a desperate soul like me?

I am in the same situation as Fori Pepe

Fori Pepe wrote:

> I would like to export/extract images from videos at every scene changes.
> Is it possible to use ffmpeg to create images on scene changes?
> It would be the most comfortable to use it like this:
> ffmpeg -i test.mpg --detect_scene_changes newscene[00-99].png

... i.e. export first frame of each new scene as an image. This effectively
generates a storyboard.
It also would be an enormous help in identifying added and deleted scenes
when comparing 2 videos.

this was the last answer in that thread:

Stefano Sabatini wrote:

> The fake syntax for a lavfi filter [...] would be something of the kind:
>
> ffmpeg -i in.avi -vfilters "[IN] split [SC_DETECT] [OUT], [SC_DETECT]
> sc_detect=PARAMS, process_sc_frames=PARAMS"  /dev/null
>
> As you see you would need two filters, one detecting scene changes and
> outputting the detected scene change frames to the output, and a
> filter to furtherly processes the information of the frames, for
> example it could print to a file the timestamp of the file or to
> render as an image file the processed frames.
>
> The sc_detect filter implementation is the tricky part, but
> a naive implementation shouldn't be too hard to accomplish.

I am really a beginner, so I don't quite know what to do with that. All I
know is I have been looking for >1 year on the www, from top to bottom and
could not find anything.

I would be so thankful to anybody of you here, if you could tell me what to
do.
with my best regards, Christian Davideck