[FFmpeg-user] New options -preset and -tune for x264 encoding

Klaus Kudielka klaus.kudielka at gmx.net
Sun Apr 24 11:39:45 CEST 2011

Hi,

even though in principle I like the new concept of directly taking over the
x264 presets in the ffmpeg libx264 wrapper, there is one big difference
that makes ffmpeg less usable for x264 encoding:

(a) x264 & ffmpeg -vpre		=> user options override presets
(b) ffmpeg -preset		=> presets override user options

In my particular example of encoding HD video:
I used to be able to specify the "slower" preset, together with -refs 4
resulting in a high profile, level 4.0 compliant output.
This is not possible anymore, since -preset slower now persistently
switches to refs=8, and I can't do anything about it :(

Personally I would STRONGLY vote that ffmpeg -preset also conforms to
behaviour (a).

BUT: as I understand libx264.c, AVCodecContext doesn't tell X264_init
whether the user has specified -refs or not. So, no trivial way to change
the current behaviour.

What's the opinion of the maintainers?

Regards, Klaus