[FFmpeg-user] FFMPEG Update

Thilo Borgmann thilo.borgmann at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 19 17:26:42 CEST 2011

Am 19.04.11 13:31, schrieb Antony Acosta:
> This are basically the codes that will be most affected if ever we update
> the FFmpeg version to its latest:
>

>    - ffmpeg -i input.flv -ss 00:00:01 -s 640x380 output.jpg
>    - ffmpeg -i input.flv -ar 44100 -f flv -b 1000kb output.flv
>

> Will the update affected those codes somehow?

I don't think anyone can say that for sure. You should download the current
source from git and compile it to have a current version of ffmpeg next to your
existing one. You can test if the current behaviour of ffmpeg still meets your
requirements and do that without breaking your current toolchain.

> ...Because I also tried other
> stuffs like converting to mp4 videos such as:
>

>    - ffmpeg -i input.flv input -acodec aac -ab 128kb -vcodec mpeg4 -b 1200kb
>    -mbd 2 -flags +4mv+trell -aic 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -s 320x180 -title X
>    output.mp4
>    - ffmpeg -y -i input.flv -b 768 -s 320x240 -vcodec xvid -ab 128 -acodec
>    aac -ac 2 -ab 64 -f mp4 output.mp4
>
> However this didn't work. I'm guessing I would need codecs installed to have
> this working and to update my FFmpeg to it's latest version?

When configuring you will see what video codecs will be available in your new
build of FFmpeg and can install necessary missing codec libraries before
actually building ffmpeg.

-Thilo