[FFmpeg-user] How can I build a 32 bit ffmpeg on a 64 bit platform

Zhanwu Xiong zhanwu.xiong at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 14:36:44 CEST 2011

I didn't intended to post it multiple time, really sorry for that.

On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 2:27 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net>wrote:

> Am 15.04.2011 14:23, schrieb Zhanwu Xiong:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I want to build a 32 bit version of ffmpeg on a 64 bit platform, in order
> > enable
>
> you will not get a quicker answer if you post the same
> message multiple times
>
> > *gcc -m32 main.c otherlib.o -lavformat -lavcodec*
> > where otherlib.o is an 32 bit compiled object and I don't have source of
> it.
>
> how should anybody understand this?
> WHAT library?
> how should this work?
>
> otherlib.o is an object file which implemented some function I need, and it
is compiled in 32 bit machine. My working machine is 64 bit, so when I
compile my program with that object file I tried to force the the compiler
to work in 32 bit mode, that is what '-m32' for I guess.

In this case, I also need my libavcodec and libavformat to be 32 bit. And my
problem is that I dont know how to generate 32 bit libavcodec and
libavformat library on a 64 bit platform.

asking question is really an art that I dont master ;)

> > I have tried to specify *'--arch=x86_32'* when calling *configure*,
> > which successfully set arch
> > value to x86_32 in *config.mak*, but the generated library files are
> still
> > incompatible.
> >
> > Can any one tell me which option I should use when *configure*?
>
> i would generally use a virtual machine with the target os und
> a build-environment and building distribution-like packages
> instead of manual compile

I am working on a unix server, so this is not applicable for me