[FFmpeg-soc] Progress seeking

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Jun 24 02:17:33 CEST 2010

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 03:41:05PM +0200, Michael Chinen wrote:
> Hi Baptiste,
>
> I'm cc'ing the soc list because this there's more questions/discussion
> that would benefit from having more readers.
>
> This week I got the table stuff working for parallel/background
> building and applied a bunch of suggestions by MN including removing
> the AVSeekTable structure I added and eliminating a lot of the table
> specific calls.  Now for next week I am thinking of these issues:

[...]
> I've also been looking at VBR mp3, where table troubles exist, but not
> as severe - the duration and timestamps of the index entries seem to
> be off because of CBR assumptions.  I guess it will need something
> like the frame header decoder function in flac. I will do this after
> solving flac which will give us the structure/framework to make it
> easier.

mp3 is constant framesize, and our parser should be working so there
should be no problem with mp3

> As the next step I'm thinking to do the read and write index (to
> file,) but this shouldn't be hard once it is clear what the format is.
>  If there's no human-redable requirement I'll just write the relevant
> size/flag variables and AVIndexEntry array out in bytes with an endian
> magic at the top.  I think this is a pretty simple thing to implement
> one way, but people will want to discuss exactly how it is done.

store differences and store them with put_v() if nothing better is
suggested
also make sure that you store a unique identifer at the file begin and
a version number

> av_save_index(FILE*,AVFormatContext*) to write all the streams per
> AVFormatContext and a av_save_index_stream(FILE*AVStreamContext*) that
> it is dependent on.  Please let me know if there's some example in av*
> of file save/load for internal ffmpeg stuff - the reason I use FILE*
> is because I saw that the dump functions use it.

maybe we could use something URLProtocol based but maybe its overkill

PS: iam a bit too busy atm to go over your code but if there is any
code duplication in there, please remove it.

[...]

Republics decline into democracies and democracies degenerate into
despotisms. -- Aristotle