[FFmpeg-soc] 33 bit rollover in MPEG

Janos Barta linuxheart at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 09:10:22 CEST 2009

 Hello!

I use an ffmpeg base segmenter application:

http://svn.assembla.com/svn/legend/segmenter/segmenter.c

The segmenter working fine, but I have a problem with an ffmpeg feature :-(.

The input stream (mpeg2ts) contains pts and dts information. These are OK,
but after 26 hours running, the ffmpeg reaches the 2exp33 limitation, and
the timestamp restart (33 bit rollover in MPEG). At this point the segmenter
stopped working with the „non monotone timestamp„ error messages. When I
restart the segmenter, everything works fine again – up to 26 hours-.

My question is, how can I solve this situation in the code of the segmenter?

The one thing that comes to mind is to have the segmenter watch for
timestamp rollovers and then have it reset all the state of the segmenter
when it sees a rollover.

But how can I do that?

Many thanks,
Jani