[FFmpeg-soc] [RFC] Possible jpeg2k decoder rewrite

Jai Menon jmenon86 at gmail.com
Sat May 2 21:26:02 CEST 2009

On 4/26/09, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 05:47:11PM +0530, Jai Menon wrote:
>  > On 4/26/09, Michael Niedermayer <michaelni at gmx.at> wrote:
>  > > On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 04:17:48PM +0530, Jai Menon wrote:

[...]

> The last time around a project writing a j2k decoder (and encoder)
>  failed.
>  What makes you belive yours would succeed if you throw the existing
>  work away?

I have no clue if it will succeed or not. As for the existing work,
the current code seems to be written for parsing/decoding a single
type of file. And the author didnt bother documenting anything. Yes, I
know code is supposed to be the documentation etc..

[...]

>  > - component subsampling is not supported. this is required by a bunch
>  > of profile 0 test files. right now only 1x1 supported.
>

> this must be fixed, but i dont see how thats a argument in favor of a
>  rewrite, and that applies to the other points here too

I tried fixing this, but the decode_packet code seems broken, it
doesn't read the entire bitstream in the tile part. Do you know if
there are any known issues with it? I was having some difficulty
correlating that part to the spec.

>  So as summary my oppinion is pretty much that iam against a rewrite unless
>  you can point at issues with the current code where a rewrite is less work
>  than fixing the issues in the current code.

I agree with you that a rewrite is more work. Sorry for bringing it
up, I seem to have lost my ability to read other people's code after
looking at the j2k soc code :)

--
Regards,

Jai