[FFmpeg-soc] Specific Project Goals

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Sat May 3 21:18:00 CEST 2008

On Sun, May 04, 2008 at 12:28:13AM +0530, Sisir Koppaka wrote:
> On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 10:43 PM, Reimar Döffinger <
> Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de> wrote:
> > On Sat, May 03, 2008 at 06:58:42PM +0200, Reimar Döffinger wrote:
> > > And a quick check on debian packages comes up with httptunnel,
> > > connect-proxy, corkscrew all of which allow tunneling through a http
> > > proxy. I would have to run that on my main PC though, so I could provide
> > > that only about 14 hours/day max.
> >
> > I just noticed that these programs can actually tunnel an arbitrary tcp
> > connection through http proxies, at least squid, without any special
> > remote server. I always assumed that http proxies would regenerate the
> > HTTP requests, and at least the one squid config I have does (at least
> > sometimes) since it is configured to gzip-compress everything it
> > receives before passing it on...
> > Amazing how little one knows ;-)
> >
> Do you mean you can ssh through a proxy??? That would be extremely useful
> here, but http-tunnel does seem to require an external computer, so were you
> referring to corkscrew or some other program?

Yes, corkscrew and connect-proxy are supposed to work with proxies that
allow HTTPS without an extra server. As I understand it, it is mostly for use
with ssh but could be used for other programs as well. If it can connect to
other ports than 443 probably depends on the proxy configuration.
I do not have any restrictive proxy here to test though...

Greetings,
Reimar Dðffinger