[FFmpeg-soc] Proposal SoC

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Mon Mar 31 00:16:36 CEST 2008

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 11:53:27PM +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 04:08:50PM -0300, Marcondes Ricarte wrote:
[...]
> > > About submission of the project to Soc I can choose any activity of the
> > > page, some people may have already been chosen. What activities not yet been
> > > chosen?
>
> You can submit any application you like to google, you can also submit
> multiple ones.
> We will choose applications and students.
> We choose depending on many things, which i belive mike already listed.
> Either way your chances to be selected without having done a qualification
> task or prior work for ffmpeg are near zero.

To be more precise,

Students who finish a qualification task (code reaches _ffmpeg_ svn) will be
favored over thouse who did not.
Students who submit code for a qualification task but do not pass (that is
their code does no reach ffmpeg svn within time) will still be favored over
students who do not submit anything at all.
Also we will try to consider the complexity of the task as well, some
students did select quite simple qualification tasks while others ended up
with harder ones (due to simple ones being already selected ...)
A half done complex task definitly counts more than a half done simple task.

But the decission will not be just based on qualification tasks;
availability of mentor, knowledge of C, ability to use a compiler and
email program as well as ability to write half comprehensible english,
certainly will be considered as well as far as we can judge these from
the little bit of communication on the mailinglist.

[...]

Let us carefully observe those good qualities wherein our enemies excel us
and endeavor to excel them, by avoiding what is faulty, and imitating what
is excellent in them. -- Plutarch