[FFmpeg-soc] GSoC 2008: YOP Playback System

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Thu Mar 20 16:54:19 CET 2008

Indrani Kundu Saha wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I have downloaded the sample files from http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/game-formats/yop.
>
> The base reference file CIMOVI01.avi which I need to compare my decoded output of CIMOVI01.YOP is not playing with ffplay. It showing a blank screen.

Hmm, same here. How about that. Well, proceed with the task anyway. :)
You often will only have the specs and no raw reference when writing a
new decoder.

> With regards to this YOP project, any pointers/guidelines will be very helpful.

1) Get FFmpeg source code from SVN and download available YOP samples.
2) Write demuxer for YOP format. Verify with './ffmpeg -i <file.yop>'.
This should tell you that the file was recognized as YOP.
3) Adapt FFmpeg's existing IMA ADPCM decoder to be able to handle the
audio data inside YOP. After this is done, you should be able to hear
coherent audio when you play a YOP file.
4) Finally, implement the video decoding algorithm.

That's the coarse overview of the task. If you need finer detail on
those steps, let us know.

--
	-Mike Melanson