[FFmpeg-soc] ALAC Benchmarks

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 25 10:10:02 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 4:20 AM, Mike Melanson <mike at multimedia.cx> wrote:
> Jai Menon wrote:
>> There are options to select min and max prediction orders but till I finish
>> tuning the encoder completely, you could try something like :
>>
>> ./ffmpeg -i <file.wav> -acodec alac <output.m4a>
>>
>> That should give you pretty decent compression.
>
> Should this result in a file that can play on an iPod? I see Guillaume
> reported success but I can not play the files on my iPod Touch.

The resulting file played fine on my iPod Classic. I don't see any
reasonable reason why it wouldn't play on your iPod Touch.
For all that's worth, my iPod Classic has the latest firware and I
used the latest version of iTunes on Leopard.

Guillaume
--
One should not give up hope on imbeciles. With a little training, you
can make them into soldiers.