[FFmpeg-soc] ALAC Benchmarks

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 17:36:59 CEST 2008

Hello,

On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 6:52 PM, Jai Menon <realityman at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 Aug 2008 9:33:25 pm Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
>> I have a question about your ALAC encoder: since this is a lossless
>> compression, is it safe to assume that no listening test is needed to
>> compare your encoder to other encoders?
>>
>> Guillaume
>
> Yes. The decoded output is bitexact to the original source. You could do ABX
> tests to convince yourself though :-)

Ok. Would your mind giving me a sample commandline to compress a WAV
to ALAC? I imagine that there are several options that control your
ALAC encoder that need to be tried out?
Is it necessary to use MP4 container to store ALAC audio?

> And please do not pay heed to the doubting hordes at Hydrogenaudio who say
> that the encoded audio "lacks bass" and assorted nonsense :-) [1].
>
> I'm no expert but I think you don't need any listening tests to confirm if its
> lossless.

That's what I thought too.

Guillaume
--
One should not give up hope on imbeciles. With a little training, you
can make them into soldiers.