[FFmpeg-soc] [soc]: r532 - matroska/matroskaenc.c

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Jul 28 21:10:15 CEST 2007

?

> > 3/5 are just a md5/sha1 of a string AFAIK which was already suggested
> > 4   is just a random number (with which we are back to square 1 just that we
> >     now can call it UUID)
> >

> > what about this?
> > /dev/zero
>
> The best seed is lower bits of timestamp, especially in nanoseconds - it's
> very random and you can't restore anything useful from it.

we need a _PORTABLE_ solution! me have no millisec precission timer let alone
micro or nano
if portability wasnt an issue we could just use /dev/random

simply using a constant seed is the obvious solution

why would a file need a random/unique id anyway?, especially if all? muxers
create these "random" ids with a 32bit seed from the current time
a 32bit seed means 1 collission in ~64000 files (assuming the 32bit seeds
are really random)
using srand(time(0)) you get 1 second precission, and this will likely
cause additional colissions ...

[...]

I have often repented speaking, but never of holding my tongue.
-- Xenocrates