[FFmpeg-soc] Review of dirac code

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Aug 16 12:28:34 CEST 2007

Hi

On Thu, Aug 16, 2007 at 09:03:54AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > the matroska muxer already found its way to ffmpeg-dev and was reviewed
> > once
> > marco asked for a full review somewhere, so heres my first dirac review
> >
> > dirac is a mess, not marcos implementation, that is quite nice considering
> > the complexity of dirac and marcos lack of experience with video coding
> > but the design of dirac itself is well ummm ...
> > i would have expected higher quality from the BBC
>
> I think that they are open to suggestions and in my experience they are
> _quite_ receptive, if you want we could forward your comment to them.
>

> > does that have any quality gain? i doubt it, but its pretty slow that is
> > certain
>
> testing it would take just a number of changes in the code I think.

well then test it :)
and if the shorter filters are as good then feel free forward my flame
if they are worse then i likely would be interrested in that info as
then maybe i should try something else for snow but i dont think that
will be the case

(myself being to busy currently with ffmpeg maintaince, and soc reviews
to also review the dirac design propely, test possible improvments and
convice the dirac devels to change dirac ...)

[...]

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated
form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty. -- Plato