[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Apr 30 20:42:53 EEST 2024

On Mon, Apr 22, 2024 at 01:32:27PM +0200, Lynne wrote:
> Apr 22, 2024, 13:07 by stefasab at gmail.com:
>
> > On date Sunday 2024-04-21 22:12:56 -0300, James Almer wrote:
> >
> >> On 4/17/2024 10:58 AM, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> >>
> > [...]
> >
> >> A full rewrite of ffserver, using only public API, and with modern streaming
> >> in mind. It would give a lot of code in lavf some use.
> >>

> > If this is going to happen, my advice is to use "ffstream" to stick to
> > the ffVERB convention (with the exeption of ffmpeg, which might still
> > be converted to ffconvert with some proper aliasing) and to avoid
> > association with the old incompatible tool .
> >

> That's basically what txproto is, only that it also does transcoding
> and filtering. It can accept incoming streams and output them to
> multiple destinations via remux or transcode. It was built as an
> ffmpeg.c with a scriptable interface and with dynamic switching.
> It doesn't do this out of the box, it's something you have to script,
> but that was largely the case that ffserver had.
>
> What is missing is something that ffserver had, which was that
> it was able to express exactly what lavf had in its context on both
> the sender and receiver, for which it needed private APIs.
> AVTransport can largely fill that niche.

hmm
how would we (assert(people agreeing)) go from what you describe
to a (very easy to use) ffserver "2.0" in something on the ffmpeg.org download page
?

thx

The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped
leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded
you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell