[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Davy Durham ddurham at davyandbeth.com
Mon Apr 29 09:03:48 EEST 2024

On 4/19/24 09:50, Niklas Haas wrote:
> So, rather than all of the above, what I think we should do is contract
> somebody to set up, manage, host and maintain a GitLab instance for us.
>
> This would probably be the single most cost effective boost to both
> community growth and innovation I can think of, as it will remove
> several of the major grievances and barriers to entry with the
> ML+pingspam model.
>
> We can use a system like VLC's auto-merge bot, where any MR that has at
> least one developer approval, no unresolved issues, and no activity for
> N days gets *automatically* merged.
>
> I'm sure that if we try, we can find an interested party willing to fund
> this. (Maybe SPI?)

+1 from me too.  Please oh, please oh, /please/ modernize the patch
management.  I don't know what the opposition/inability to use github is
all about.  But gitlab should be a great improvement on the ML/patchwork
situation.

gitlab has a hosted edition for opensource projects
<https://about.gitlab.com/solutions/open-source/join/>.   (Or is the
opposition to github about trusting someone else to host it in general?)

Automated CI/CD pipelines will change your /life/ if you've never used
them.  I was once opposed but wouldn't want to do it any other way for
any significant project anymore.

Inline comments on MRs would be a great improvement for discussions and
requests from maintainers, and plus it's much easier to see/drill-into
those discussion from the blame view.

my two cents