[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Tue Apr 23 03:20:51 EEST 2024

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 10:46:35AM +0200, Stefano Sabatini wrote:
> On date Wednesday 2024-04-17 15:58:32 +0200, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > The pace of inovation in FFmpeg has been slowing down.
> > Most work is concentarted nowadays on code refactoring, and adding
> > support for new codecs and formats.
> >
> > Should we
> > * make a list of longer term goals
> > * vote on them
> > * and then together work towards implementing them
> > ?
> >
> > (The idea here is to increase the success of larger efforts
> >  than adding codecs and refactoring code)
> > It would then also not be possible for individuals to object
> > to a previously agreed goal.
> > And it would add ideas for which we can try to get funding/grants for
> >
> > (larger scale changes need consensus first that we as a whole want
> >  them before we would be able to ask for funding/grants for them)
> >
> > Some ideas and why they would help FFmpeg:
> >
> [...]
> > * client side / in browser support
> >     (expand towards webapps, webpages using ffmpeg client side in the browser)
> >     bring in more users and developers, and it will be costly for us
> >     if we let others take this area as its important and significant
>
> There are already several projects on github, the most prominent one:
> https://github.com/ffmpegwasm/ffmpeg.wasm/
>
> In general it would be useful to provide libav* bindings to other
> languages, for example:
> https://github.com/PyAV-Org/PyAV
> https://github.com/zmwangx/rust-ffmpeg
>
> Not sure these should be really moved to FFmpeg though.

From a user PoV it would be nice if there was a official
python, rust and wasm binding

It also would draw in more developers and users to FFmpeg.
test coverage might also improve

I think the 2 questions are.
 1. is there a binding for some language that wants to become the official
    FFmpeg binding for that language ?
 2. does the FFmpeg community want that too ?

thx

Old school: Use the lowest level language in which you can solve the problem
            conveniently.
New school: Use the highest level language in which the latest supercomputer
            can solve the problem without the user falling asleep waiting.