[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Ondřej Fiala ofiala at airmail.cc
Sun Apr 21 17:36:00 EEST 2024

On Fri Apr 19, 2024 at 12:45 AM CEST, Michael Niedermayer wrote:
> a small change to trac is easy to do and easy to undo, if it helps,
> iam not sure a switch to GitLab/Gitea/Forgejo will happen, or even if it is a good idea.
>
> we lack people with time and interrest to review and apply patches
> switching the tools will cost more time, and working
> with these tools would also add burden (at least to me)
>
> other projects also seem not to have switched if i look at LKML for
> example
>
> IMO, if we can keep the mailing list workflow and at the same time
> provide people who prefer it a "in browser" way to interact with
> patches, submit, approve and so on. That would be best.
> It seems patchwork does not fully fill this role.
> Can something be done to improve patchwork so it works better maybe ?

Have you looked at SourceHut[1]? Their stated goal is building a FLOSS forge that
works on top of email rather than sidetracking it like GitHub & its clones do.
The whole software can AFAIK be self-hosted and includes an in-browser git viewer,
issue tracker[2], and mailing lists with decent support for patches[3].

[1] https://sourcehut.org/
[2] example: https://todo.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/hare
[3] example: https://lists.sr.ht/~sircmpwn/sr.ht-dev/patches