[FFmpeg-devel] Fix for [ffmpeg] spdif: Unusual frame timing 40 samples/frame is not implemented.

Adolfo Rodrigues adolfotregosa at gmail.com
Sun Apr 21 02:22:28 EEST 2024

Hello.

I'm new at this so please bare with me. I have created a sample file that
produces an audio drop at the same time it produces the following message:

[ffmpeg] spdif: Unusual frame timing: 10248 => 12042, 40 samples/frame is
not implemented. Update your FFmpeg version to the newest one from Git. If
the problem still occurs, it means that your file has a feature which has
not been implemented.

sample file -> https://tregosacloud.duckdns.org/s/HRWxz7oX7HCSSpD

The same message shows up when I seek but with the added side effect of
audio rarely recovering, becoming silent.

I found out that by editing the file spdifenc.c and commenting out:

   /* sanity check */
    //if (padding_remaining < 0 || padding_remaining >= MAT_FRAME_SIZE / 2)
{
    //    avpriv_request_sample(s, "Unusual frame timing: %"PRIu16" =>
%"PRIu16", %d samples/frame",
    //                          ctx->truehd_prev_time, input_timing,
ctx->truehd_samples_per_frame);
    //    padding_remaining = 0;
   // }

All my issues went away.

I have opened a ffmpeg trac ticket:  https://trac.ffmpeg.org/ticket/10948

I'm no developer, my knowledge is very limited but I since I have yet to
find any negative symptom of my change I'm leaving here my findings.

Thank you for your time.

Adolfo