[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Zhao Zhili quinkblack at foxmail.com
Fri Apr 19 20:35:39 EEST 2024

VLC is plugin based, gstreamer is plugin based too (which went toooo far 😝),
I don't think plugin is that dangerous.

Firstly, we can enable plugin interface only with enable-gpl.

Secondly, we can have a less stable plugin interface than public API, for our
development convenience, and encourage plugin authors to contribute to
upstream.

> > Our productivity as is, is not good, many patches are ignored.
> > The people caring about these patches are their Authors and yet they
> > are powerless as they must sometimes wait many months for reviews
>
> So, rather than all of the above, what I think we should do is contract
> somebody to set up, manage, host and maintain a GitLab instance for us.
>
> This would probably be the single most cost effective boost to both
> community growth and innovation I can think of, as it will remove
> several of the major grievances and barriers to entry with the
> ML+pingspam model.

+1.

I can't remember how many patches I have ping. It's really frustration.
I ask for permission to commit mostly due to this.

Now I can keep track of my own patches, but it's still not easy to filter out
patches I'm interested to review (I can blame the email client, but blame it
doesn't help). I'm sure I can review more patches with a new workflow.