[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Niklas Haas ffmpeg at haasn.xyz
Fri Apr 19 17:50:25 EEST 2024

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 22:53:51 +0200 Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc> wrote:
> A plugin system moves this patch-management to people who actually
> care, that is the authors of the codecs and (de)muxers.

A plugin system will only solve this insomuch as plugin authors will
just host their plugin code on GitHub instead of bothering with the
mailing list.

I think it runs a good risk of basically killing the project.

> Our productivity as is, is not good, many patches are ignored.
> The people caring about these patches are their Authors and yet they
> are powerless as they must sometimes wait many months for reviews

So, rather than all of the above, what I think we should do is contract
somebody to set up, manage, host and maintain a GitLab instance for us.

This would probably be the single most cost effective boost to both
community growth and innovation I can think of, as it will remove
several of the major grievances and barriers to entry with the
ML+pingspam model.

We can use a system like VLC's auto-merge bot, where any MR that has at
least one developer approval, no unresolved issues, and no activity for
N days gets *automatically* merged.

I'm sure that if we try, we can find an interested party willing to fund
this. (Maybe SPI?)