[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Thu Apr 18 22:50:50 EEST 2024

On Thu, Apr 18, 2024 at 11:22:09AM +0100, Andrew Sayers wrote:
> On 18/04/2024 10:13, epirat07 at gmail.com wrote:
> > > [...]
> > > >
> [...]
> > > Functions are documented in doxygen, so they depend on the major.minor
> > > version, while you seem to refer to the FFmpeg version. Also on the
> > > website we usually only have the latest mainline documentation, so I
> > > don't understand how can you have different versions in different tabs
> > > (unless you didn't update that tab since months/years).
> > Thats not true and same things has happened to me multiple times,
> > thats why I always have to check the URL to make sure the docs
> > are the ones for master or latest release I am working with.
> >
> > For example see this ancient documentation here:
> > https://ffmpeg.org/doxygen/1.2/index.html
>
> I'm glad I'm not the only one making that mistake!  In fact, older versions
> don't just exist, they're often the first link in Google.  For example,
> typing "avformat_init_output" into Google and clicking on the first link
> takes me to [1] (version 3.2).
>
> The website doesn't have documentation for 6.1 or 7.0 ([2] and [3]),

the docs for master are generated by a cronjob
the docs for releases are manually generated,
thx for reminding me about it, ive generated the 6.1 and 7.0 ones now

[...]
> Without getting too far off-topic, I would also be interested in knowing how
> docs are actually generated in practice. I've tried generating documentation

its just running doxygen with a Doxyfile
the Doxyfile is not  doc/Doxyfile from git because that could be a security
issue. But its a very similar file

thx

Dictatorship: All citizens are under surveillance, all their steps and
actions recorded, for the politicians to enforce control.
Democracy: All politicians are under surveillance, all their steps and
actions recorded, for the citizens to enforce control.