[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Apr 17 21:22:20 EEST 2024

On Wed, Apr 17, 2024 at 05:55:04PM +0200, Jean-Baptiste Kempf wrote:

> >> Better leave that for others.
> >> There's an infinite amount of discord clones already.
> >
> > iam not following that genre that much ...
> > so let me ask
> > are there any that
> > * preserve privacy (discord is not secure/private)
> > * allow audio / video / text chat
> > * scalable
> > * need no central server
>
> Matrix? Elements? Mattermost? Rocket.chat? Jitsi?

These seem quite complex systems

Matrix says "(optional) end-to-end encryption" which for me is a fail

https://jitsi.org/security/
nicely explains their security. And i agree that anything running
primarely in a browser controlled by google cannot provide security/privacy

what i had in mind with ffchat initially was a much simpler system
simply something where 2+ people could connect and communicate with
video and audio (text being easy to add).

The complexity of ffchat would be more between /doc/examples and
ffplay.
My basic idea was that people would be identified by their public key
hash + DNS name. And then just setup a connection in a ffplay like
interface.
Its a good example on how to use our libs in a realtime chat app
and it allows us to grow it if we want at any time

thx

Freedom in capitalist society always remains about the same as it was in
ancient Greek republics: Freedom for slave owners. -- Vladimir Lenin