[FFmpeg-devel] [RFC] 5 year plan & Inovation

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Apr 17 16:58:32 EEST 2024

Hi all

The pace of inovation in FFmpeg has been slowing down.
Most work is concentarted nowadays on code refactoring, and adding
support for new codecs and formats.

Should we
* make a list of longer term goals
* vote on them
* and then together work towards implementing them
?

(The idea here is to increase the success of larger efforts
 than adding codecs and refactoring code)
It would then also not be possible for individuals to object
to a previously agreed goal.
And it would add ideas for which we can try to get funding/grants for

(larger scale changes need consensus first that we as a whole want
 them before we would be able to ask for funding/grants for them)

Some ideas and why they would help FFmpeg:

* Switch to a plugin architecture
    (Increase the number of developers willing to contribute and reduce
     friction as the team and community grows)
* ffchat
    (expand into realtime chat / zoom) this would
    bring in more users and developers, and we basically have almost
    all parts for it already but some people where against it
* client side / in browser support
    (expand towards webapps, webpages using ffmpeg client side in the browser)
    bring in more users and developers, and it will be costly for us
    if we let others take this area as its important and significant
* AI / neural network filters and codecs
    The future seems to be AI based. Future Filters and Codecs will use
    neural networks. FFmpeg can be at the forefront, developing these
* [your idea here]

thx

It is what and why we do it that matters, not just one of them.